Thursday, May 13, 2010

Making a Connection

I don't know if you have noticed it or not but I like to knit.
I love yarn, feeling it slip through my fingers and watching it take shape, become.... anything I want it to be. I enjoy the rhythm, the connection to the divine that creating brings, the peaceful serenity. I appreciate being able to literally wrap my loved ones in warmth made from my own hands and to bring my children joy with sweet handmade toys. And wool, well, it brings me such a connectedness to life. Not just a fiber, not just a crafting material, but really part of another living creature, and now part of my life and that oh, so lucky recipient.
In the past few years I have grown so much in this craft. It's not just something I do, a hobby, something monetarily profitable. No, it's part of my life, you could even say part of a spiritual practice and I have longed to open myself up to whole process. To experience not just the fiber, not just the looping and interlocking of stitches, or the wearing or giving. But to truly experience the whole process, where it all comes from and the sweet connection, the thread that runs through all life.




The very beginnings of a sweater, or some socks, perhaps the warm wool stuffing for a special doll. Meet Finnegan and Rosemary. Old English Southdown Babydoll lambs, born just two weeks after my sweet River, they are twins and now part of our family. I have zero experience with any kind of livestock save feeding, watering and collecting eggs from my parents chickens. So there will be a real learning experience. And short of dyeing wool all of the yarn I have worked with has been ready to knit. But I am eager to learn and so happy to be part of the process.

ps They are white lambs but being North Carolinians, they obviously enjoy a good roll in the very plentiful red clay.

2 comments:

Rachel Kovaciny said...

You remind me of why I love to go barefoot. It keeps me connected to the world around me and lets me experience life more fully.

And I've gotta say, spinning yarn looks fun!

The Knitwit Hues said...

You make my heart happy, and I so understand and relate to how your mind works. I love that you've started on this journey with lambs and will love walking along with you on it. Smiles to you, my sweet friend. Diane Eve xoxo

Post a Comment