Saturday, November 26, 2011

Waldorf Inspired Home School Themes-Thanksgiving

We are Waldorf-inspired homeschoolers, just starting out in kindergarten. Each week follows a theme, inspiring our work and play and learning. This theme is chosen based on the season and what's on our minds. Each week I will share what we've been up to and some links and resources that will hopefully inspire you. There is a link-up at the end of this post... I hope you will share what your home school has been up to. You can find previous weeks here.
Photobucket
Oh, the earth is good to me
And so I thank the earth
For giving me the things I need
The sun and the rain and the apple seed
The earth is good to me

As Thanksgiving was this week we focused all week on the upcoming day.

I was inspired by this tutorial to make Indian corn hanging sunflowers.
Photobucket
Removing the kernels was messing work. They kept popping all over the place!
Photobucket

Photobucket
I used the different colors to make a design but the girls just spread theirs out mixed up. And, unlike the tutorial, we didn't try to set them on end, as this would have required hot glue.
Photobucket

Photobucket
Some of the pieces popped off and so I covered them in Modge Podge and let them try over night. This sealed the really well.
Photobucket
I also didn't cut the husks into petals, but instead kept the natural shape and simply cut them down a bit.
Photobucket

Photobucket
We glued a piece of yarn to the back for hanging and the glued over it a piece of paper cut the same size.
Photobucket

Photobucket
The girls tucked theirs away in their Solstice gifting box.
Photobucket
On Thanksgiving we used the empty cobs to make bird feeders.
Photobucket
I screwed tiny hooks into the tops for hanging and then we coated them with peanut butter and birdseed.
Photobucket
Songs
Johnny Appleseed
Over the River

Stories
The Animal's Thanksgiving
Hugin and His Carrot We read this one on Thanksgiving day and then made carrot soup to go with our dinner.

As always, you can find my homeschooling board here and songs and stories here.