Monday, May 7, 2012

This Is the Way We Scratch For Bugs

Only one chick hatched. Mama didn't sit on the nest too long. She was up and off after her little toddler fairly quickly. Some of the other hens sat for a while but, after several days, it was obvious there would only be one baby this go round. It's the first, though, and I'm sure there will be more to come in the future. For now, this mama and her one little one are up and exploring the barn yarn. Mama's been teaching babe (whom I've named May, due to 'her' May Day birth. I hope 'she's' not a 'he'!) to scratch out bugs. It's so sweet to watch the little one toddle around after her, imitating. Seems so very familiar.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Mama is a Gold Lace Wyandotte and I'm fairly sure that May is from one of our Black Australorps.
I'm a bit worried about the little one running around out there, though, looking very much like a chicken nugget to predators. Fortunately, we've never had an issue with predators, due to the animals being so close to the house, I believe. And the other chickens couldn't care less about it, which is a good thing. Not that this protective mama is about to get any of them get close to it. Seeing her run around after it, trying to keep up reminds me of myself, trying to keep up with River. I feel for you, mama!
Link
P.S. Kaiya is on the mend, feeling miles better today than yesterday, and the rest of us are still feeling in the clear. Thank you all so much for your thoughts and sweet words!